Dear fellow Penn State alumni, It has been an honor and a privilege to run for a seat on the Penn State Board of Trustees. I cherish every moment of the last few months because it has been an uplifting experience to meet so many alumni who only want the best for Penn State. My campaign team and I had so much fun, and learned so much so quickly. I’m blessed to be surrounded by such integrity and loyalty. I want to thank my husband, my mom, my brothers, my children, and all my supporters who have become friends along…
Hello, my name is Laurie Stanell and I am an alumni elected trustee at Penn State University.
I am a person who sets serious goals. I do not allow others to squelch my passion, or convince me to give up. And my passion is Penn State. When I ran for trustee, listed my goals:
- I will strongly advocate for tuition control. Penn State must find ways to contain costs while dealing with cuts in state funding. Tuition must be kept affordable to attract the best and brightest students, while maintaining the highest academic standards.
- I will be an advocate for gender equity and diversity on a board that doesn’t reflect the ideal Penn State wishes to achieve.
- I will work to ensure that Auditor General DePasquale’s recommendations regarding board transparency and size are enacted. All trustees must be treated equally, since all are equally liable for the board’s actions, and a smaller board means more highly engaged trustees.
- I will support positive changes to Greek life, but they must affirm the laudable history and contributions sororities and fraternities have made to Penn State for over a century.
- I will be a frequent, visible presence in the state capital. Since real reform can only take place in the Pennsylvania legislature, I will use my experience with government affairs to promote reform legislation so that past mistakes will be corrected.
- I will make it a priority to travel to the Commonwealth Campuses to listen to their concerns and celebrate their accomplishments. Because we are all Penn State.
Follow me as I work to accomplish these goals. I will do all that I can for Penn State, because that’s who I am and it’s what I do. Question? Suggestions? Concerns? Scroll down and send me a message.
Dr Laurie Stanell, DMD
’80 Biology, Penn State
’85 Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University
WE ARE PENN STATE
- My grandfather, William Parks – 1939 Mathematics
- My mother, Romayne Parks – 1950 Microbiology
- My father, James Stanell – 1952 Chemistry
- My brother, Jay Parks Stanell – 1981 Accounting
- My brother, William Parks Stanell MD – 1987 Plant Pathology
- My daughter, Kendall – 2010 Science & Arts
- My son, Thomas – 2018 IST